About Richard Bartlett
With over 20 years’ experience in both the private and public sector I’m now in a management role at one of the largest IT service providers in the University of Cambridge, providing support to over 2,800 managed desktop users (and over 4,300 network endpoints). I’m committed, determined, and passionate about what I do, which at its most fundamental is connecting people with information systems.
I’m married to Natalie, with a daughter Laurelin, and I spend most of my non-working time with my family, or outdoors (fishing if I can). I consider myself very lucky to be happily married, happy with where I live, and happy with my job. I still don’t have any spare time though, but that might be why I’m happy.
2012-Present (University of Cambridge) Head of the Clinical School Computing Service
- The head of a division which provides IT systems and services to all the departments, institutes and units (approximately 25) within the School of Clinical Medicine, and to a lesser extent the School of Biological Sciences.
- Servicing over 2,800 managed desktop users and 4,300 network users across 5 different sites and two data centres.
- Managing 30 staff, including 26 technical staff, and an annual budget in excess of £1.5m
- Delivered the first ISO 27001:2013 certified Information Security Management System in the University.
2009-2012 (University of Cambridge) Computer Officer at the Institute of Continuing Education
- Managed the transition of the Institute IT Services from internal provision to provision by MISD, including design and implementation, data migration, documentation and training of users in new systems and procedures.
- Consolidated the network from 13 servers to 10 and from 6 firewalls to 2, simplifying the network topology and reducing management overheads.
- Implemented high availability Windows Apache MySQL PHP servers to host the Institute VLE eLearning and Course Management System.
- Implemented the Institutes first Helpdesk (OTRS open source ticket system) which was logging an average of 6 calls per day when it was retired.
2007-2009 (rbit-Consulting), Owner/Director
- Qualified as a Microsoft Small Business Specialist and a CompTIA CTT+ Trainer
- Clients include the University of Cambridge and City Learning Centres in London.
- Authored a series of articles on the Cambridge Network website.
2006-2007 (University of Cambridge), Computer Officer at the Faculty of History
- In charge of a network with 80 staff and 1,000 students.
- Ran a major network infrastructure upgrade project, a replacement door security system, and upgrade to a graduate research facility.
1997-2006 (Software Imaging Limited), IT Manager
- Managed a team of 7 staff across three countries, supporting 13 servers and 170 users.
- Recommended and managed a system migration that saved £85k over 3 years and developed the company’s first IT Strategy and Security Policies.
- Ran a Network Integration Project connecting offices in Canada, Japan, UK and USA.