I woke up this morning and looked back on the total car crash which is my week, classic planning vs reality. It was another 45-50 hour week with not a lot to show for it. I’ve reflected on this, and concluded that the reason is obviously bad planning on my part.
The mistake I made was coming up with plans like this;
- 830-9 : Process inputs
- 9-11 : Do important tasks
- 11-12 : Project Meeting
- 12-1230 : Catch up on email
And so on ..
What I should have planned is more like this;
- 830-845 : Process inputs
- 845 : Read email about a completely unnecessary crisis created by someone elses bad planning/communication/execution
- 845-1105 : Attempt to deal with unnecessary crisis
- 1105-12 : Project Meeting (arrive late and unprepared)
- 12-5 : Deal with unnecessary crisis
So the learning I’ve extracted from this week is:
always set aside at least half your day to deal with other people’s problems.
Happy planning kids!